Rimsky-Korsakov String Quartet + Napa Valley Ballet


As I mentioned in a previous blog post, my boyfriend had a ballet show on the 19th. Napa Valley Ballet performed with the Rimsky-Korsakov String Quartet & it was amazing! The Jarvis Conservatory is a stunning venue and has amazing acoustics. I hadn't heard any recording or watched any videos of the string quartet beforehand and found myself incredibly impressed.

I sat front row center (that's kind of my thing at live shows) and had a perfect view of all the action. The string quartet started with four songs by Mozart before moving on to several songs by California composers, Marjorie Wheeler & Louise Canepa. Both of the composers were in the audience, which made it a really fun experience. 

Next up was the Borodin piece that Napa Valley Ballet performed an excerpt from Prince Igor. Prince Igor (Andrew) had just been thrown in prison and was served wine and fruit from servant girls. Then, the female prostitutes (I believe they gave them a classier name, but let's call it like it is) came out and danced with him. There were some AMAZING lifts (why don't I have video?!) and the dancing was phenomenal. Muscles are never bad to look at either...

The quartet had lots of great things to say about the dancers and then performed three more songs from a French composer and an encore song from a Russian composer. The whole show was lovely and it made for a great evening. The ballet will be having another show on June 11th based on Vivaldi's Four Seasons. My niece is going to be in that show, as well, and will be a harvest fairy. After two great ballet shows in a row, I'm really looking forward to the next one.

If you want to check out some of the music from the Rimsky-Korsakov String Quartet - click here
& if you would like more info on Napa Valley Ballet & future shows - click here








No comments