Relationship Advice From Mindy Kaling

Last May I attended BEA in New York City. I had the pleasure of meeting Jesse Eisenberg (again), Julianne Moore, Bernadette Peters, and several more extraordinary actors and authors. On one of the last days of the conference I got to meet Mindy Kaling. I knew Mindy was going to be a highlight for me since I've been a huge fan of her and her career since the early days of The Office. I made sure I looked cute and put together that morning. I slipped on a black a-line dress that hit about 8 inches above my ankles with a pair of cute ankle boots and a Kate Spade bucket bag. I got up early to straighten my hair and even put on some make-up.  A few hours before Mindy was set to arrive she tweeted that she would be open for advice giving. Oh, the pressure! I spent all morning and early afternoon thinking about what I wanted to ask Mindy for advice on. Eventually, mid-afternoon rolled around and in came Mindy Kaling. She had a fresh new bob and looked even more beautiful than I ever could have imagined. I was given a booklet with the first few chapters of Why Not Me? and a Mindy Kaling pin. About 30 minutes later I found myself standing directly is front of the woman herself. 

Our brief conversation went a little like this:
Mindy: Hi, Lindsey! It's so nice to meet you!
Me: I'm so happy to finally get to meet you! I heard you were offering advice & I'd like to ask you something, if you don't mind.
Mindy: Oh my God, yes! No one has actually asked for advice yet and I've been waiting!
Me: Ok, so my mom keeps pressuring me to get engaged and to get married because I've been with my boyfriend for ages. What's a nice way to tell her that I don't really want to hear it?
Mindy: Tell her that it's really not your decision or anything you have any control over. He's the one that has to propose and her telling you isn't going to change anything.

There was a little more chit-chat back and fourth and I was on my way. I have to admit that my legs felt a little like Jell-o afterwards. I've met George Clooney and Ben Affleck, yet I was a thousand times more starstruck by Mindy. I relayed what Mindy said back to my mom, but other than that didn't share the advice with anyone. I rolled it over in my head over and over and realized that I am so happy to be a woman. I don't have to worry about proposals. Ever. Yes, a woman can propose but I don't think I ever will. If there's a point in my relationship that that's something that my boyfriend decides he wants, he's the one that has to go for it. I'm perfectly content with my relationship and now when people ask me about future plans I say, "you know, when we get engaged really isn't up to me". It's crazy that such a simple statement can take such a huge weight off your shoulders. I roll with my relationship and don't worry about if and when something is going to happen. I'm interested to hear the best relationship advice you have ever received! Feel free to e-mail me at lindsey@lindsey-sparkles.com, snapchat me @linelizabeth89, tweet me @linelizabeth89, or comment below!




1 comment

  1. Great post and I totally love what Mindy said. It is so true!

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete