How I Became A Celebrity Fashion Stylist

Growing up I would look at photos of celebrities on the red carpet and swoon. They almost always look impeccable. A hair was rarely out of place and their outfits were something out of a dream. I would find myself googling how to become a fashion stylist and realized that unless I moved away and went to school for fashion, interned for a decade, and got lucky that it wasn't in the cards for me. I lived in Northern California and there weren't many opportunities in fashion where I was from. One day, I took it upon myself to research different entertainment PR firms and who they represented. I would look up teenage stars that hadn't been in much (yet) but had big projects in the works. I spent days and days collecting information before I started reaching out to the publicists directly. I told them I was an up & coming fashion stylist and that I could style their clients free of charge (for the first event). Out of about 40 e-mails that I sent out, about 5 were a hit. I started dressing stars from the CW & Disney Channel for awards shows and NYFW events. The more girls I styled, the more publicists wanted to jump on board. I would go around to showrooms around LA and pull dresses, shoes, and jewelry. I would meet the girls on the sets of their TV shows and at their houses for fittings. I would find hair stylists and make-up artists and explain in explicit detail how I wanted them to look. At a certain point, I knew that the traveling back and fourth was too much for me and was hard on the relationship that I was (& still am) invested in. On occasion, I will still dress people for award shows and movie premieres, but I've come to the point where I'm pickier. I work as a fashion stylist for Stitch Fix and dress real women for everyday life. I guess the moral of my story is, just because everyone tells you that there is only one way to get the career of your dreams doesn't mean that's true. You can pave you own path to success and get there on your own terms. If any of you want advice on how to make it in the industry and don't know where to start, feel free to message me. I'm always here to help! 

No comments